Family Farm, Family Values, Genuine Country Hospitality
Carinya Station is a farm stay open to travellers of all ages, who want to experience our style of farming life.
We are Joe and Jacinda Barry and our five children Jess, Megan, Archie, Clay and Pippa.
We purchased Carinya in 2012, as a family farm running Merino Sheep along with Hereford and Santa Gertrudis cattle. As the drought set in we sold off our cattle and reduced sheep numbers significantly, and thus had to come up with a way to make money while still maintaining our home. We then began inviting grey nomads to come and stay in exchange for giving a hand on the farm. This unique idea grew significantly over time, and we found ourselves having to adapt and change what we offer to suit our travellers wanting first hand experience in farm life.
Many of our guests over the years have turned into life long friends, and we are grateful to have met so many amazing, unassuming people from all walks of life that we have the privilege of calling our friends. We pride ourselves on treating our guests like they’re family, because essentially, if you are coming here with a genuine interest in what we do and why we do it, then you’re our type of people!
We pride ourselves on being a low impact camping experience and love that our guests feedback to us is all about making wonderful memories and lasting friendships.
Our Front Dam Camp has 6 self contained sites adjacent to our 3 hole bush golf course.
Our House Dam Camp offers 6 self contained sites, including 1 powered site.
Our Bush camping sites cater for those in tents to motorhomes and all in between.
Things to do
Walking farm tours
Suitable for those wanting an introduction to Carinya Station. On this tour, you will get to meet our farm animals, learn about what we do and why we do it. Do your best to stump our host with some out there questions!
If you or your children are planning on being hands on, then you must complete this as per WHS requirements.
Included with your stay, or $15 per person.
Family Price $30 (2A, 3K)
Special Group bookings available on request.
Group 4WD Tag along tour
Suitable for a group of mates or a club that would like to check out the farm. This tour offers a great 4WD experience around the whole farm. Advanced bookings are essential Min. numbers apply. $POA
Give us a call to discuss your needs.
Directions from Castlereagh Highway
Once you turn off the highway into Lightning Ridge. Stay on this road through to T section.
- Tum Right onto Gem St Go past pool and turn Left onto Pandora St. This takes you past artesian baths. Continue on this road approx. 10km until you come to a T section. Turn Right onto Ridge Road.
- Travel 4km. Carinya is signposted on the Right.
- After Rain Gate 1 will be CLOSED. If It is CLOSED, please continue along for 500M to Gate 2.
- Head around to the back of the house then straight ahead towards shearing shed. On the Left are our Farm Stay hosts. Please check in with them when signing in at the shed.
Directions from Collarenebri
*If you’re planning on travelling the back road from Collarenebri, we suggest calling into the service station and getting information about road conditions.
- At the intersection, Turn Right on to Herbert St. After 400M. Trum Left onto the Narran St.
- Travel on this road 37KM, which after approx. 10KM turns into dirt. Until you reach a 4 Ways. Turm Left.
- Travel on this road for approx. 21KM. Until you see a sign at the T section pointing right towards Lightning Ridge (Ridge Road).
- Travel on this road for 10KM and you will see ‘Carinya’ Sign Posted on the left
- Head around to the back of the house then straight ahead towards shearing shed. On the Left are our Farm Stay hosts. Please check in with them when signing in a the shed.
There are many different routes that can be taken when driving from any of the capital cities to Lightning Ridge. The following is an overview of the routes from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide that may help you in planning your Outback Beds experience.
|Brisbane||Warrego Hwy <> Gwydir Highway <> Castlereagh Hwy||730km|
|Sydney||Western Freeway >Castlereagh Highway||792km|
|Melbourne||Hume Highway <> Newell Highway <> Castlereagh Highway||1,225km|
|Adelaide||Barrier Highway <>Darling River Run <> Castlereagh Highway||1,330km|
Towns & Touring
Home of the beautiful Black Opal, Lightning Ridge shows its varying colours depending on how you look at it.
With the Coolibah-lined Culgoa River running through it. Culgoa National Park is a birdwatchers paradise and a must-see after spring rains for those interested in outback wildflowers.
Contact us for information & bookings
For more information on rates, accommodation, bookings, etc, please contact us directly by visiting our website or giving us a call. We look forward to hearing from you!
Phone: 08 8091 6496